JUSMUGEN community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Reply to topic

Carmell's Stage Surgery Thread.

Carmell
Carmell

edits Carmell's Stage Surgery Thread.

Post by Carmell Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:52 pm

So I've been doing a series of stage edits of other creator's works to varying degrees of upgrade or overhaul or sometimes I just want a different scaling of the stage to accommodate normal size characters since for the most part I exclusively use normal size characters. I've been especially attacking the contents of the Videogame Universe section on Mugen Archive but it is definitely not limited to that.

I feel like I have to put a disclaimer that if youre one of the people whose work I've edited or criticized don't take it as a personal attack.

Hopefully most people will appreciate the goal of just raising the general quality of what's available for Mugen.

There's basically too many Stage Surgery Releases to list. I think there's over 100 already so listing them all would be quite the task. But for purposes of this thread I'll list a small sampling of them to start. I'm also not particularly clear what download links are allowed here. There seems to be some contradicting information in that Forum Notice here such as Mega being allowed and not allowed at the same time. I'll just post the youtube links and it should be safe to download them from the descriptions there.

Feel free to request Stage Surgeries even if it seems like it might be a lot. As long as it's not insane I'm probably willing to help you out for free. This following video says a little more about it but to get a real idea of what is possible just watch my videos and I'm usually pretty thorough about what was changed, fixed or upgraded.

Also I'm willing to help new creators with any problems they have. As long as I know how to fix your problem I'll help you out.

And now a small sampling of Stage Surgeries.

HomieYoshiStory by MabsKMK Pack.

This was my most recent Stage Surgery when making this thread and what a beefy nightmare it was. I resprited, rescaled and rearranged these 3 stages from Yoshi's Story. There was a ton of sprite damage to fix up. The explanation for what's different is also pretty beefy so this is a definite you should probably watch the video entry.

Yuri's Art of Fighting 2 Stage by Vegaz Parelli.

I rescaled this Art of Fighting 2 Stage by Vegaz Parelli to accommodate normal sized characters. Pretty much all Art of Fighting stages are scaled to fit the giant Art of Fighting character sprites but that doesnt work too well for regular characters or even rescaled to be regular sized characters such as the AOF2 Yuri featured in the video. If you hunt around in my videos you'll find I recently rescaled a version of every Art of Fighting 1 stage to fit standard size characters. I might do a pass of the Art of Fighting 2 set in the future and not just the lone one I have now.

Annie's Stage from Power Instinct by MvC Champ

The only existing copy of the stage out there had a masking error blocking the background from displaying properly. I fixed that along with touching up the sprites and adding back in the destructible Annie statues from the game.

Tetris by Zinjo Resprited. Zinjo made this animated Tetris Stage which was pretty nice but it was full of dirty fuzz from video conversion. I took the time and manually repainted the 200+ frames to give it a clean pure sprited look.

Town Tussle by Camren Springer. I took Camren Springer's original stage and completely resprited it. I was actually pretty proud of this one...but it didnt get much love. Also I've done quite a few Camren Springer stage upgrades at this point.

Knowby Cabin from Terrordrome by 14th Doctor. 14th Doctor has released a few Terrordrome stages but while I like the stages I didnt like the scaling of any of them. I rescaled all 4 currently released and fixed some other minor issues with them such as him leaving transparency errors in them. If he makes more I'll probably do those too.

Angry Frog's Hills.

While this one isnt technically a Stage Surgery, it is a good example of another way I can upgrade a stage. If making new art is relatively simple enough I don't have a problem doing it, but I probably can only pull off cartoon looks well when it comes to stuff outside pure spritework.

Tool Time by Brergrsart. Besides not being scaled to my liking this stage had a lot of minor issues I fixed. Decent characters in need of better home stages such as Tim Taylor here will draw my attention a little more than normal. Ideally I want characters to have good home stages.

Doki Doki Takeover by bruh_man. There are a ton of Friday Night Funkin Stages out there and almost every last one has no regards to scaling, in fact some are ridiculously enormous. I've rescaled a ton of them at this point, most of them by bruh_man even, so if that's your thing my channel is full of them, but this one. This Doki Doki themed one is MY favorite.

Metal Gear VR by kyotheepic. I went in just hoping to fix a sliding floor but then realized the stage really needed some brand new cube assets to make the stage look right so I made new art.

World Mementos by Mugen Gamer. I dont know if Mugen Gamer's stages work for him but for me a 1.1 user every last one of them breaks when zoomed and the scale is pretty usually crazy off as well. I've done several Mugen Gamer rescales and void fixes at this point. If you want to request a Mugen Gamer stage you want fixed up I'll probably definitely do it. He tends to release in pairs of 1.0 and 1.1. I didnt used to undertsand the difference between the 2 and exclusively worked on his 1.1 versions, but now I know it's as simple as him using that red green blue method on the 1.0 so if you need a 1.0 version I think it's just as simple as the job I would do on a 1.1.

Shenlin Park (Freedom Planet) Stage by Synck, CharMR. This stage was missing some key sprites from the original tileset (the side of the building) I fixed that and added in some extra spritework from the game. I included this one here because people seemed to really like this one.

Nene's Store by Camren Springer. Another stage by Camren that I completely resprited and was enough effort that it feels wrong not to include it in this sampling even though I already included a Camren Springer entry.

The Inventory by Angel Willis Resprited. Another completely resprited stage. This time based on some weird team fortress poker game.

That's all for this sample but like I said there's already over 100 and probably many more on my channel that I think people would probably like. If people want to help me out and post ones they like to this thread that more than helps me out and I certainly wont be complaining.

If you want to request something, posting a comment in one of my videos is the quickest way to get my attention.

JUSMUGEN likes this post

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:15 pm